Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Car free and Carefree

Brad and I are really enjoying our newfound car-freedom. Now we don't have to worry about tickets, parking, insurance and everything else that comes with having a car (it's really a hassle in the city). I wasn't sure if I would like not having a car but I really do. We can pretty much walk and take the metro anywhere we want to go. If we need to drive there is a program here called Zipcar that rents cars by the hour. We live about a block and half from a metro station and within two blocks to two different grocery stores. Your outlook on grocery shopping does change a little when you have to carry everything! We also live close by to a church we really like, pharmacies, and a hospital. Any shopping, dining or sightseeing we want to do is just a short walk or metro ride away. Even though we're enjoying not having a car, there's still a chance that I'll need one for a job. For now it's nice not to have to worry about one though.
Almost every weekend Brad and I have been doing some sightseeing. I realized a few weeks ago that we live really close to the Lincoln Memorial and the National Mall. I've been running down there lately and Brad and I have walked down there a few times to see the monuments and visit the museums. This past weekend we walked to the Jefferson Memorial, went to the Smithsonian's Native American Museum and the National Zoo. Here are some photos of our recent adventures...

Brad in front of the Potomac on our walk to the Jefferson Memorial- he wasn't hard to spot in the crowds that day

Jefferson Memorial

Me in front of T.J.

A cute panda at the zoo playing with a piece of plastic tubing- looks a little like a dog I know


One of my favorite animals at the zoo- the Fishing Cat

View of the WWII Memorial, Reflecting Pool and Lincoln Memorial from the top of the Washington Monument
View of the Mall and Capitol from the top of the Washington Monument


Me in front of the Lincoln Memorial

Brad in front of Abe himself





2 comments:

Casey said...

Thats phenomenal about being car-free. It must be such a burden lifted. Jeremy and I would love to do that here, but in a rural sense. first, we need a farm...

Your life in DC seems amazing! I am so happy for you. Keep these post comin!

The Gaymons said...

Hey Hamletts!
Didn't know you were bloggers....yeah! So, now I can check in on you guys. By the way, I told Catherine Butler to send her contact info. to the e-mail on the reunion website. Is that correct?
Keep the updates coming, Elizabeth! Much love.